Yamaha FG-150 Red Label guitar – aaJapan Vintage Dreadnought

Yamaha FG-150 Red Label
Japan Vintage Guitar
AFTER RESTORATION
How I got that Yamaha FG-150 Red Label guitar? Well I was on that usergroup of TYPO3-developers and there was this dude sitting next to my, while I was surfing eBay for vintage guitars. Later we got in contact about XING and I told him for my Dreadnought-passion. He told me he had that Yamaha FG-150 Red Label stored at his fathers place but wasn't able to get it into a accaptable state for his interests. Got to say he's a highly professional Jazzplayer. I figured that I would hardly be able to do something good to this guitar, what that guy hasn't tryed before. Even though I ever wanted to have a smaller version of my Aria 9400 and I actually knew the Yamaha FG 150 from the Woodstock videos, I decided it would be a GAS-buy only. So I told him, that even though I would love to buy that Red Label Yamaha but if I would so so, my wife would kill me - INSTAGIB! Some days later he called back on me. He got the guitar from his dad. Also two others. And then he got me... I could have all three guitars for 150€. Well. I didn't sleep the whole night and in the very next morning, when my wife opened her eyes, she was looking into my doggy-puppy-face. I WON! After explining her, that I do neeeeeed these guitars and after I threw in my birthday gift for the next year, I was granted this VERY LAST BUY! :P *twinkle twinkle*
I didn't even know what guitars it where. Just that the one was a "WTF I DONT KNOW" 12-String guitar and an Ibanez. Since I thought 150€ was very okay for a semi-well conditioned Yamaha FG-150 Red Label, I let him surprise me.

The Yamaha FG-150 condition was okay. Not very well cared, but neighter something that had to been fixed asap. The other guitars were a very very beautiful Ibanez Performance (blue sunburst finnish) PF5-MS-14-01 and an Tacoma WT-100 12-String guitar. Unfortunatly, the bridge of the Ibanez was half the way wipped of the body. That was totally unintentional on his side. He discovered that shortly before I visited and instantly told me. I was in love with that one already anyway. The Tacoma 12-String had an ugly Spot on the front. Like if the coating was punctured and oil was drained in over time. Well anyway. I gladly bought the guitars and started to customize them.

First I used the thrustrod to get the Yamaha FG-150 aligned to my style. Then I lowered the saddle and the nut a bit. Since the wood was pretty dryed out, I spilled a lot of lining oil on the back, sides and the neck. The fretboard and front received some Viol. I let her dry for 2 days. The cared every single piece with 0000-whool. I took a marginal piece of all wood to create a somewhat well balanced look. Also the frets and the tuners got handled with 0000. After I put some Elixir strings onto it – and et voila (I gave up on the Blogger.com picture management. It just sucks. So take this MESS):





And after:










Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I'll come back to you asap!