Aria 9400 Guitar - Japan vintage Dreadnought / Best Martin D-28 Clone


Aria 9400 - Aria Guitars
AAA Quality - Vintage - Japan
My Story:
When I was 15 or something like that, my dad thought it was time to get me an own guitar. An Aria 9400 Dreadnought. I thought he was a little affraid about his selfmade accoustic concert guitar which I was using till then. At that age I didn't realize, what a beauty the Aria 9400 actually is. Later my dad told that this guitar was about 1000DM,- (DM was the pre-money of Germany before the €uro was introduced. 1000DM equals round about 500€+). He told me it was a quiet rare and customized guitar and that I should have a good eye on it.

Now since I passed the age of 33, I can't thank my dad enough. The Aria 9400 is a Martind D-18 (D-28) clone. Maybe the best ever. I don't know for sure but I played some Martin D-18 / D-28's till today ans NONE sounded as beautiful as my Aria 9400. I don't know wether it's the age or just happy circumstances, but I couldn't find any Martin D-18 / D-28 or D-18- / D-28-clone that could reach out for the Aria 9400.
Just my opinion. Maybe I grew to tight with my Aria and maybe I'm not objectevily. But why would I care for that?! :)

I never made music for others, nor did I play in bands or so (school band and some gigs where I helped out friends excluded). I'm a shy guy at all and can't play, when someone is watching. Point is: I got no sound samples, since I lack on equiptment. But I'm planning to rent some very high quality micophones and recording stuff, to take some samples of my beloved guitars. Leader in Dreadnought-Style so far is the Aria 9400.

Technical Details
  • Typ: Dreadnought
  • Tuners: Nickel laminated
  • Top: Spruce
  • Back: Mahagony
  • Sides: Mahagony
  • Head: Mahagony
  • Neck: Mahagony (some say maple, I doubt that...)
  • Fretboard: exotic Brazilian Rosewood
  • Bridge:  exotic Brazilian Rosewood
Additional Informations
  • Martin style cross braced body bracing
  • 1-3/4" neck
  • Scale: 65,405cm. At all: 104,14 cm. Brustbreite: 39,37 cm. Tiefe: 11,43 cm
  • or: Length: 40.5” Width: 16” Height: 5” (to be concluded ... no idea of inches...)
  • Some prefer Martin Marquis 80/20 bronze strings
  • I prefer Elexier
  • produced from 1970 on 
Other information from the web
Back to topic: There aren't much informations about the Aria 9400. Also my Aria (as most of the Aria 9400s I found on the net) has no serial number. So it's even harder to find out stuff. For now I'm suffering the same issue as this googleplus user. I contacted Aria before but got no answers. I will try again soon.

One of the few original and authentic informations on the net can be found on this page by matsumoku.org. It's a catalouge from Aria itself showing the Aria 9400. Any other hints I was following (didn't did too deep for now) was leading to nothingless (like THIS thread). On THIS thread at harmony central there was someone looking for new tuners – and found them. Some very good informations on the guitar can be found at this offer JVguitars.  This post on guitartricks.com has some informations about fret cleaning for the Aria 9400. 

Pricing / Worhtyness:
I found some auctions, but I can't believe nor accept the fact, that the Aria was partially sold for $50 till $200. Exapmples wanted? Have a look at THIS auction were the Aria 9400 changed the owner for (ridiculously!!!!) $112,- . Or another auction, were it was sold for $50 (*shakes his had and cries*). Even if the condition of these guitars were horrible (and they were NOT!) that prices are a joke. I don't want to be mean... but WTF?! Who in the world would be so stupid?!  I also feel somewhat offended (whysoever...) by this offer at eBay for 135€.

But stay calm. there are some more real biddings too. More real sounding prices can be found on the web at this listing on Reverb.com were a well conditioned Aria 9400 was sold fpr about 360€. Or HERE at http://sedona.americanlisted.com/, were it was offered for 350€. Also reasonable sounds this offer at JVGuitars for $600.

At this forum someone was wondering if it was a good trade against an Ibanez RG. 
I'm not sure if this is really related to the Aria 9400 or to somewhat called AIR 9400 but ....
Original Martin D-28 Information
Original Martin D-18 Information
Some Pictures of the Aria 9400 on Photobucket

Conclusion:
I would never ever give away my Aria 9400. Also I want to put out, that I cannot understand any selling beneath 300€. I you see one selling for less in good condition, it's owner hasn't much idea of guitars (imho). I wouldn't sell it beneath 500-700€. Yeah right. Call me crazy. I don't care. I wasn't able to find someone who was able to show me a better sounding D-18 Dreadnought or rebuild so far. Again: The original Martin D-18 / D-28 can't compete (imho).

Some Photos
 Aria 9400 Japan Vintage Guitar Front Fretboard Picture
Aria 9400
Japan Vintage Guitar
Fretboard View
 Aria 9400 Japan Vintage Guitar Lowered Action Sideview Picture
Aria 9400
Japan Vintage Guitar
Lowered Action View
 Aria 9400 Japan Vintage Guitar Fretboard Picture
Aria 9400
Japan Vintage Guitar
Fretboard
 Aria 9400 Japan Vintage Guitar Front Sideview Picture
Aria 9400
Japan Vintage Guitar
Front Sideview
 Aria 9400 Japan Vintage Guitar Front Picture
Aria 9400
Japan Vintage Guitar
Front View


Here you can see it between her two Sisters

Yamaha FG-150 Red Label, Aria 9400 & Tacoma WT-100 ][ Dreadnought-family
Yamaha - Aria - Tacoma
One big Family

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Könnten Sie mich bitte kontaktieren. Ich besitze eine Shiro (Aria) mod. 9200 die ihrer 9400 sehr ähnlich ist. Da ich über Aria keinerlei Infos bekomme, dachte ich das sie mir weiterhelfen könnten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just picked one up for free from a guy who put it out with a "free" sign. My lucky day I guess. This will be my beach guitar. When the machine heads rust out, I'll upgrade the tuners. I have played professionally, on the streets and in prison. When I found it was in time with good action and intonation. Love it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your passion for the Aria 9400, unfortunately all links in your post are outdated meanwhile.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I'll come back to you asap!

Popular Posts